Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Search and Rescue

For a couple of years now I have been interested in joining Search and Rescue. It's a great volunteer program that helps find people or items that are lost. It could be someone who is lost in the forest, a suicide subject or simply an important item lost.
Two weeks ago I finished my training to become Search and Rescue Certified. It took two months of training every Wednesday night and every Saturday. In the end we had the opportunity to do two mock evidence searches and a mock person search. The person search included a plane down and 5 victims. We had to find the downed plane and victims, treat the victims and carry them out to safety. Afterwards we were all left on our own to build a shelter, search for wood and build a fire. We were to keep the fire going all night without falling asleep. The purpose of this was to mock that you had a person you have rescued and you have to stay out all night and be able to keep them warm.

The training we received during these two months was well worth my time and a great experience overall. I'm really excited to get my first call for a search. Not that I want or wish anyone to get lost or injured in the woods, but I would love to be a part of helping them to safey. What a great thing to be a part of!

I'll add more details later...it's late.

3 comments:

  1. Ah!!! Your back! Oh how I missed MY LES!!! Yeah-er! I'm soooo flippin' proud of you Girl!!! I love you so much! Good for you Les. Daren admires your determination and loves the fact..when Les says she's gonna do something.Les does it.Very proud of you sweetie!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an admirable thing! And such valuable skills you've learned! Do you go through an ongoing series of training in order to keep up your skills?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I have to continue 30 hours of training every year in order to keep my certification. That should be fairly easy considering some of my training from work will double as training for S&R. Things like First Aid, Blood Bourne Pathogens, Critical Incident Stress Management, etc.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Most importantly, I'm a mom to a beautiful, sweet little nine year old girl named Makenzi. We call her Kenzi. She is my life and what I work so hard for. I've always been a very busy person. I work hard and try to play just as hard. I love adventure and exploring new places. My dream job would somehow involve traveling the world. I'm a mom, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, niece and friend. I love my family and friends and would do almost anything for them.